top of page

Our History

The history of the East Northport Fire Dept. began on March 14, 1908, where a small group of men gathered at the Old Dixon Hotel for the purpose of organizing a fire department. 

In May 1908, an application for a charter was made and this was granted and recorded June 6, 1908. A lot was purchased on the corner of Ninth Avenue and Larkfield Rd. In the spring of 1909 ground was broken for the making of a Firehouse. The labor was donated by members of the department.

The first social event of the department was the Strawberry Festival. The proceeds of this event went to the building fund. On August 18th a dance was held celebrating the completion and opening of the firehouse.

In May 1923, a petition was drawn up for the purpose of forming a Fire District. This was passed by the County Board of Riverhead on October 30, 1923. A public meeting of legal voters was called on July 30th for the purpose of electing three Fire Commissioners and a Treasure. H.B. Whitehead was elected for three years, Mr. Fred Corsa was elected for two years and Mr. Fred Knell was elected for one year. Mr. Herman Richter was Treasure for three years. Upon completion of forming the Fire District, members of the East Northport Fire Company NO. 1 turned over to the district all apparatus and equipment. That is when R.S. Leighton became the Chief of the East Northport Fire Department. Through funds and contributions raised by the volunteers, an ambulance was purchased. The volunteers found themselves called upon for all kinds of emergencies. Our community was growing in leaps and bounds and with it came more and more demands and responsibilities for the local department to fulfill. Thus a small and dedicated group of men found themselves on virtually 24-hour calls.

Over 100 years later, The East Northport Fire Department has grown itself in both members and apparatus. Along with Headquarters located on Larkfield Rd is Station 1 located on Clay Pitts Rd. Both houses combined have 120 men and women serving our community in various ways. The Department responds to over 2700 emergency calls a year with 1 Tower Ladder, 5 Engines, 4 ALS Ambulances, Paramedic Responder (24/7), BLS Responder, and Fire Police Truck. Our many men and women have trained the countless number of hours to keep up with today’s technology. 

bottom of page